Re: RTlinux problem

On Mon, 20 Nov 2000, Ian wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just been trying for some time to install rtlinux on a new machine
> running an updated kernel. I started from the
> 'rtlinux-2.3-pre2.prepatched.tar.gz' kernel from fsmlabs and everyting
> appeared to go tickety-boo (well), however, when I come to try to run the
> tests I get the error message in the attached file. Can anyone shed any
> light on the possible cause please or suggest any tests I could do to get
> closer to understanding the problem?

Ian

www.linuxcnc.org/handbook/part1/software/rtlinux/prepatch20/rtl20.html#rtmodules

says concerning the kinds of messages you got.

-----start if quote-----
I got the following report on his recent install from "andrew a." <kn6za1-at-yahoo.com>

Ok, I installed emc on red hat 6.1 again, this time I took better notes!
My setup is
red hat 6.1
gnome workstation install
rtlinux-2.2-prepatched.tar.gz file from site listed on linuxcnc.org
june 7 emc
After following all directions on installing the rtlinux-2.2 kernel, I had two files that needed permissions changed before it would let me see the examples operate. Those files are, rmrtl and insrtl and they are both in the rtlinux-2.2 directory.
[root-at-localhost rtlinux-2.2]# chmod -v a+rx insrtl rmrtl
mode of insrtl changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
mode of rmrtl changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
[root-at-localhost rtlinux-2.2]#
Note - 2.0 - The examples are included in the rtlinux-2.0/rtl directory rather than as shown.
-----end of handbook quote---

I haven't tried 2.3 yet but it sounds like the modules are not being
inserted into the kernel.  If you haven't already changed the permissions
you might try that.  It might also be that these files have been moved or
copied into another location in the new release and run from there rather
than from rtlinux-2.3.  You might try a system wide search for them and
see if they exist in more than one place.

When you get this figured out would you "patch" the handbook page for the
changes that are necessary.  Or send your notes and I can do it.

Thanks in advance.