Re: emc really needs a copyleft cad/cam package

"Terry L. Ridder" wrote:
> take note matt did not mention java.
> no java. repeat after me, no java.
> <big grin>

I almost DID mention it, but thought better of it. I have a long history
of learning a programming language and then writing only one program in
that language (ALGOL, 123 Macro, Java). I'm reading a book on C++ now, I
hope to get a little more use out of that... I had three basic problems
with Java:

1. It ran sloooow!

2. The AWT (Abysmal Windowing Toolkit) was pretty sad. As an example, I
had to create a whole new button object by extending the canvas class
because the standard button only had a "button pressed" event, and I
needed both "button down" and "button up" to use it for a jog button on
my prototype cnc GUI.

3. "Write once, run everywhere" didn't work all that well, I did a lot
of fooling and fiddling to make it work in both IE and Netscape. In
fact, Tcl/Tk is much more platform independent than Java (IMHO).

> happy birthday, matt. just how young are you now?
> <big grin>

27 (in hex)

Matt