open source CAM

I hope that my thoughts don't sound too strange for the list....
Every week, I usually call Ray and talk to him for about an hour, about EMC
and CAD/CAM related things.  This week we were discussing probing, open
source vs MS, Tcl/Tk windows terminals, and open source CAM programming.  I
will have to admit, I can't program source and therefore, have to sit on
the sidelines.  But,  I do like to stir things up to generate interest in
topics.  So,  here goes another session of stirring the soup....

  In the last year, I have seen more EMC developement with the open source
world than I would have expected in my wildest dreams.  Open source truly
is the right model for this application.  Who would have thought,one year
ago, that we would have a controller that rivals and even surpasses the
commercial systems ?  With that in mind, I know that things could be taken
to another level.  There has been a lot of talk on the "other" list
(CAD/CAM/EDM/DRO) about conversational programming, being able to make G
code right from DXF files etc.  Currently, there is an open source effort
at www.opencascade.org and www.opencascade.com that is building the
framework for opensource CAD/CAM.  Right now there are only a couple demos
using the opencascade libraries, but they are encouraging.  My thoughts are
that the opencascade libraries could be used in the EMC backplot program to
create a small CAM program to go along with EMC.  It would be good to be
able to hit a button and be able to switch between "backplot" mode and CAM
mode on a screen that is independent of the EMC controller window. Ray and
I have discussed this a little and we thought that it would be good to
bring this up so that programmers could look at this and comment.  I know
that the guys at NIST are doing great work on the controller, and I
wouldn't want to divert their attention away from what they are
doing.  Therefore, I am making an appeal to the programmers on this list to
give me some feedback about how to go about getting an open source CAM
program built.

Thanks,
Dan