EMC version numbers

List

I'm wondering if there is a way to modify the install scripts so that when
EMC is installed it generates a small file -- some thing like sysinfo.txt
-- that holds some PC info, linux version, rtlinux version, EMC
release date, and type of release.  For other OS's it could hold equivalent
information.

I don't know how to write such a file or to modify the install files to do
this but If it could be done, I'd be pleased to put a second entry under
the tkemc help menu that would show that information.