Re: Floppy-EMC? and some other questions

> After using Linux/EMC for a while it becomes a lot more easy for
> guys to start fiddleing and hacking. If you want to attract new users
> you better have a slick GUI, and an easy install procedure. We know
> where EMC is lacking. Dedicate a cheap high performance all in one
> motherboard to machine control, and use a PALM or similar device
> for the GUI and hand held control, running MicroWindows.
>
> Steve

:-)   no GUI no glory?

I like a graphic interface as much as the next guy but I dont see it as a
major requirement on a CNC control
and with the current EMC GUIs requiring 800x600 minimum screen
resolution they rule out using the vga16 server and make the installation
that much more dificult for Linux newbies
a well designed text interface can be faster and easier to use as well as
taking up fewer system recources and being less distracting for the user
many people want to use their retired desktop systems as machine controls
so I am aiming low on the hardware requirements and going for the easiest
installation method that would produce a working system on "any" box
I have also looked into using microwin/nanoX ,SWM,TinyX and
others for the GUI base but they would be harder to fit on a floppy set
(the rcs lib takes up a lot of a floppy by itself)
to attract new users the users have to be able to make it work in one day
no matter what it looks like
things are getting better but this is still a stumbling block for many M$
users

a Palm seems very small for a control pendant
my 2 cents sez
"manual controls for 'big iron' are probably not something that should
be miniaturized to this point"

what I had in mind was something closer to the full sized switches and
buttons found on the older CNC control panels before they all went to
membrane keypads
and a good sized manual jog handweel with detents for that nice Clik feel
leave the keyboard for typing but not for machine control

Brian