Re: Remote GUI

Dave Schecter wrote:

> On a system with a remote GUI:
>
> Does the PC running EMCmot, EMCtask, and EMCio need to
> have X installed?

No. It doesn't even have to have a monitor. It does need a network card
and connection.

> Does the PC running TkEMC need to have RT-Linux installed?

No. The rationale for remote displaying is that the remote PC is NOT a
Linux system. Normally we expect it to be a Windows system. It has to be
on the network and have a monitor.

> Do they both need to be the same version?

Nope, as you can see from the answer to the second question.

Now, if you do have a remote PC running an X Windows server, like Exceed
for the PC, you can run ANY X Windows application on the Linux box and
have the display appear on the remote PC. This is standard X stuff. The
remote display capabilities we're talking about with TkEMC on a PC don't
require an X server for the PC.

--Fred