Re: EMC following errors

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Bill wrote:
> A couple of questions about EMC
>
> I have upgraded my stepper drivers to microstep drivers with 1000
> steps/rev
> and 5 revolutions per inch for 5000 steps per inch. It's a router so 300
> inches/min would not be unreasonable. Running on 200 MHZ pentium,
> Steppermod,
> XEMC, RH6.0, 2.2.13 kernel

I've had a problem of late with steppermod on my 2.2.14 kernel.  I loose
several of the values in the ini file whenever I get an error message
from the motion stuff and EMC attempts to write its current values to the
ini file.  It does the same when I shut EMC down.

You can check this with your system by setting values for p i d in the ini
file and starting EMC.  Under the settings menu press calibration and see
if your pid settings are shown there.

If they are not, we need to fix steppermod.  I've been using freqmod
instead for a couple of releases now.

> A positive movement works great at that speed and I can go
the full > length
> of travel on either the X or Y axis. When I try to go back I get a
> following
> error before the axis even moves (or within a couple steps). What is the
> difference
> between the two moves? Fixes?

The only thing I can think here is min and max output aren't set to the
same values.  These variables are in each of the axis definitions.

> If anyone is running a similar setup, could you email me your ini file?

I don't get anywhere near that speed but I'll send a copy of my minimill
ini file off list.

> Are all of the entries in the ini file being used, and if not can they
> be removed?
> there's stuff in there about specific motors and such that don't seem to
> be used
> for anything.

All of the inland motor and amp stuff can be removed unless your are going
to use sim with that ini.  All of the commented lines can be removed and
if you are using minimill files for task and IO you may be able to remove
some of the IO stuff.