Re: STG2 - Latest Developments

I have made progress!  I recompiled the June release on 2.2.13 and 2.0
kernels - it was by accident actually because I also had 2.2.14 and 2.2, but
it grabbed the first directory that it saw.  Anyway, I have been able to get
the X and Y axes to move.  I even turned the signal up a little, so they haul
a-- too (800IPM)!  The motors actually sound like they are "grinding" or
working really hard at all speeds.  I don't know if this is in the amp
adjustment or the PID adjustment.  But I should be able to play with them
now, and maintain otherwise consistent settings.  It doesn't appear that my
previous "amp tweaking" has affected the amps.  I still think that the +/-
settings are backwards, because the count should go (+) when the table moves
to the left and (-) when it moves to the right.  I think it may have to do
with the fact that it is a "CNC-made" machine and not a retrofit - the motors
are opposite where they would be on a retrofit.  As I was discussing with
Will, the pain about the encoders is that they don't get powered until the
computer is turned on, so if there is any noise in the system, the STG card
"plugs its ears" until the computer is rebooted.  I have noticed it several
times - maybe it would be possible to program an STG reset call in with the
Reset in TkEMC or power the encoders from an external source.  Other than
that, I haven't noticed any major problems with June (knock knock).  But like
that famous line from some movie I don't remember "...this is only the
beginning."

-John