Re: Compiling EMC on madrake 7.1 problems.

Burt

It seems that the 2.95.2 that I used to compile and report is a close to
but not quite a full pgcc compiler while the 2.95.3 is a full pgcc compiler.

While the gcc compiler is intended to optimize code for the intel arch,
apparently these compilers have a problem with much of the older kernel
code and some problems with EMC as well. I picked up this note from a search.

----------
On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, Aaron Lees wrote:

> pgcc is what I think you are referring to. Here is the url:
>
> http://www.goof.com/pcg
>
> It's distributed as a patch to gcc 2.95.2 so any problems in gcc 2.95.2
> will likely be inherited in pgcc as well as some more introduced as you
> mentioned. I've heard that on some code it can give up to a 30% increase
> in speed so it may be worth checking out anyways. I believe mandrake,
> stampede and a few other distributions compile all their packages with
> pgcc.
---------

Being a compiler newbie, I have no clue what we can do other than scrap
Mandrake and use Red Hat for a while.

Ray