Re: new EMC release / rtlinux-2.2 problem

> Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 17:04:43 -0400 (EDT)
> Originator: emc-at-nist.gov
> From: "Ian Wright" <Ian-at-iw63.freeserve.co.uk>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <emc-at-nist.gov>
> Subject: Re: new EMC release / rtlinux-2.2 problem
>

> Hi Will,
>
> Thanks for the reply.  Madrake 7 which was my starting point, is already
> based on the 2.2.14 kernel. To go to RTLinux, I downloaded the
> rtlinux-2.2-prepatched.tar.gz file into my /usr/src directory and unzipped
> it with gzip -cd rtlinux-2.2-prepatched.tar.gz | tar xvf - . This created a
> new directory called rtlinux-2.2 within /usr/src. In this directory there
> are sub-directories called /linux and /include but there does not seem to be
> one called /include/linux as the third of your ls -ld commands seems to
> require.
> As I said before, looking at the /usr/src/linux directory using kfile, I can
> see a link called 'linux' which, if I click on it, shows me the contents of
> the /usr/src/rtlinux-2.2 directory but this link doesn't show up when I use
> the second of your ls -ld commands - ls -ld /usr/src/linux. Should this link
> file (linux) actually be in the /usr/src directory itself rather than in a
> /linux sub-directory within /usr/src?
>
> I also tried the 2.2a prepatched kernel in case it was a bad download but I
> got exactly the same errors.
> Thanks,
>
> Ian
>
> --
> Ian W. Wright
> Sheffield  UK
>

> > Is it possible that /usr/src/linux has the old 2.2.5 source and
> > /usr/src/rtlinux-2.2/linux has the new 2.2.14 prepatched with rtlinux 2.2?
> >
> > What directory were you in when you untarred rtlinux-2.2?
> >
> > If this were the case you might try this:
> >
> > cd /usr/src
> > mv linux linux-2.2.5
> > ln -s rtlinux-2.2/linux linux
> >

> > -- Will

OK.

After you untarred rtlinux-2.2

the INSTALL file says put a copy of linux-2.2.14 in a directory called linux in
"this" directory. Which to me would imply  /usr/src/rtlinux-2.2/linux since the
directory the INSTALL file is in is now in /usr/src/rtlinux-2.2. Unfortunately
the kernel sources you had were probably in /usr/src/linux you could move them
but it looks like some of the kernel makefiles rely on them being in the
original location.

I would have done something like this just after untarring:

cd /usr/src/
mv linux rtlinux-2.2
ln -s rtlinux-2.2/linux linux

 This way the source is where the INSTALL file says to put them but if some make
 file tries to find them in the original location it should still find it
through the link.

 If you get the prepatched sources and untar them in /usr/src, you end up with
 a similar problem the sources will end up in /usr/src/rtlinux-2.2/linux where
the RTlinux INSTALL file expects them  but
 if any makefiles look for them in the original location /usr/src/linux they
will either find nothing or the old unpatched sources.

So you probably need to do something like this just after untarring:

cd /usr/src
mv linux linuxold
ln -s rtlinux-2.2/linux linux

-- Will

William Penn Shackleford III			shackle-at-nist.gov
National Institute of Standards & Technology	Tel:	(301) 975-4286
100 Bureau Drive Stop 8230  			FAX:	(301) 990-9688
Gaithersburg MD  20899  USA
http://www.isd.mel.nist.gov/personnel/shackleford/
Office Location: Bldg. 220 Rm A253