Re: Motif Style Gui

Terry,

In X-Windows, we process events and can intercept any single one.

Normally, one simply calls

XtAppMainLoop(app);  // The main loop that processes events

but if you'd like to intercept the events, one can call as an example:

while(True) {
   XEvent e;
   XtAppNextEvent(app, &e);

  switch(e.type)
  {
       case KeyPress:
             if (e.xkey.keycode == 23) { /* tab key */ }
             if (e.xkey.status ==128) { /* shift key */ }
        break;
        case KeyRelease:
             if (e.xkey.keycode == 23) { /* tab key */ }
             if (e.xkey.status ==128) { /* shift key */ }
        break;
    }

    XtDispatch(&e);
}

An easy example is to run "xev" and it dumps all the events for a given
window.

Fred,

Yes, Lesstif is a free software that mimics the Motif calls exactly (use
the same API).
The whole purpose of Lesstif is to circumvent the royalty fees that are
associated with
Motif.
Of course, if you have Motif or want it, you can use it instead and the
code doesn't change.
Mostly it's a matter of re-linking.

John

"Terry Crook" <terry-at-cqg.com>-at-nist.gov on 03/24/2000 12:04:54 PM
Voice Mail #:

Please respond to emc-at-nist.gov

Sent by:  emc-at-nist.gov