Re: Motif Style Gui

John Moore provided a true GUI expert's critique of the EMC GUIs and
suggested improvements. They all sound good to me. I don't think there
will be many complaints about changing operating instructions since the
improvements all make it more intuitive to use. I say go ahead.

Regarding Motif, my brief look into X programming told me you have to
pay for the Motif development libraries, but lesstif is free. John, you
probably know more about this than I do. True? I was trying to avoid
requiring that people pay anything for software development if they
wanted to recompile from scratch.

My experience in building GUIs is that using the keyboard for jogging is
a real pain, due to the keyboard repeat. If you look at xemc.cc, or
tkemc.tcl, you can see the horrible things I had to do to debounce
keyboard repeats. Key repeats can be disables globally (xset -r), but
then you lose arrow-key-rapid-movement through editors. Is there a good
way to do this?

--Fred