Re: EMC and DRO card

Dan Falck wrote:

> Yes, one could actually use EMC as a DRO program.  That's kind of a
> perverse thought- hmmm can't run it on a 486, have to use a pentium, and it
> scares the hell out of the majority of people becuase of the rtlinux install.

No, no.  As a DRO, only, it would run FINE on a 486.  No trajectory
calculations to worry about, nothing real time at all, in fact.  All it has to
do is read the encoder counters once in a while, and then update the display.
There are differences in the memory layout of the 486 and lower CPUs
that make the shared memory setup different.

I DID get Linux running on a 486, with a small bit of trouble with non-compatible

hardware.  But, even XFree86 ran just fine on an 8 MB 486.  I was
impressed with that.