Re: Easy EMC

----- Original Message -----
From: Charly Brauer <cbrauer-at-pop.voyager.net>

> Could one of you smart people make a cdrom that would copy itself on to a
> clean formated harddrive, setting the needed parameters such as mem size,
> machine type, etc?  Also all the srcs, email log, and drop-box.
>
> If this could be done, I am sure a place line Linux Centeral would happly
> make copies at their $7.25 rate!

Charlie,

This one is being hacked to death on the CAD_CAM_DRO list at the moment and
I don't think it is within anyone's reach as yet.  The problem is that there
are so many variables in hardware configurations that any program capable of
sorting it all out would be enormous. Windows gets round this by using a lot
of 'generic' drivers etc. but unfortunately something which is 'average' is
seldom 'perfect' and, being linux, we don't want to start getting all the
silly crashes that windows is prone to.
The later versions of linux (RH6.1 and its like) are pretty good and can
autodetect most hardware but, as yet, EMC isn't sorted to work with this.
Perhaps in a few months things will change and then I would say it would be
more practical to do what you suggest.  At least I like your suggestion of
cheap CD copies better than the commercial ideas of Brian on CAD_CAM_DRO for
which he has been spoken sharply to!

Ian