Xwindows configuration

So one please through me a life preserved, I'm in a sea of Linus and
sinking fast!

I installed a hard disk installed with a copy of Linux and the latest
release of EMC in my computer last night but when I ran startx the window
went blank and I had to reboot my system and the mouse did not work.  When
I ran Xconfigurator the program bombed because it could not find the
xserver for the for the video card on my motherboard (XF86_S3).  I ran
xf86config about 15 times and got xwindows to come up but only in what
looks like CGA resolution. I down loaded XF86_S3 off the net and installed
in the /usr/X11R5/bin subdirectory and Xconfigurator was able to get past
the first three screens but gave an error code while probing.  It suggested
that I do a manual install on the monitor.

I have tried many different monitor/mouse combinations to no avail.  Now
xf86config wont even run,  it can't find any commands or files so I seem to
be going backwards.

Can you rerun the configuration without killing EMC or the runtime patch?
Is the server XF86_S3 release specific? If so where can I down load this
file for Red Hat release 5.2?
Where is the best place to find help on items like this?

I don't want to keep bugging Dan he has already given me too much help.

Steve Tate
(425) 481-8756