Re: the EMC Cookbook

Charles Brauer wrote:

> Happy New Year,
>
> I have been reading the all the e-mail from emc.nist.gov with interest.  I
> have yet to get EMC to compile! I'll be a tester of the install section.
>
> I've tried RedHat 5.2, 6.1, and Mandrake 6.5.  I can get rtlinux version
> 2.0 and version 1.3 to run the examples.  I had to change a line in version
> 2.0 in the rtl_conf.h file to make it run the old examples.
>
> When I try to get EMC to compile(all the verssions I can find: the old and
> new), I get many error messages.  It can't find this file or that... and on
> and on.
>
> I'd just like to know how many people actually got EMC installed?(e-mail me)?

I had a little trouble the first time out, but no trouble since then.  (And, that

was in Feb 1998.)

I just upgraded to the latest version (20-Dec-1999) and it went in flawlessly.
I had some trouble getting it to run my machine, because there had been a
lot of changes since the last version I was using, but that was all just related
to getting the setup file (emc.ini) to have all the right settings.  I'm using
Red Hat
5.2, with the real time patches.  I think the real time patches need a different
set of kernel include files than are supplied on the Red Hat CD.  But that is
a different step than the EMC install.  You DO need to have all the required
libraries, include files, etc. installed before you start.  But, I don't think
EMC
really requires a whole lot of stuff, above the full development environment.

> My idea of a good install is something like "egcs".  It does everything
> from the configuring to the actual installation.

RPM is pretty nice, checking all those dependencies and such.  Those seem
to be very simple and reliable installs.  (Of course, RPMs are object installs,
not C++ source.)