Re: BDI on Windows Drive

If you have a spare harddrive to load Linux (BDI) onto
you can create a dual boot arrangement by doing the following:

1)Unplug your Window's drive and set aside.
2)Install just the harddrive for Linux BDI, 2.0 gig minimum.
3)Set the Linux BDI drive as IDE master by setting it's jumper
4)Install Linux BDI:
    a) Set your CMOS to boot from CDROM
    b) Install the BDI CD
    c) Reboot
    d) Most of the install is self explanitory, but
        i) It's going to ask you how to partition the drive
        ii) Assuming a 2 gig drive, partition as follows:
            1) Create a /boot partition, 20 meg
            2) Create a swap partition twice the size of your system memory
            3) Create a /home partition about 300megs
            4) Create a / partition select remaining space on HD
     e)Select the full install of all packages, wait about 10-15 minutes
        until it finishes the install
      f)System should now boot linux.
5) When the system reboots, login as root
6) Click on the file manager (little house icon)
7) Go to the /etc dir and (right click , edit) and add the following lines to
     the end of the file using the editor:

     other=/dev/hdb
        label = Windows
        map-drive = 0x80
        to = 0x81
        map-drive = 0x81
        to = 0x80

8) Shutdown the Linux system by pressing the start menu, selecting
    Logout, then shutdown.
9) When told so, turn off the power.
10) Re-Install the Windows drive.  Set it's jumper to slave
11) Power up.   You'll now have a a boot menu that allows you
      to select Windows or Linux.
12) Boot into linux, as root create a dir called /mnt/windows
13) Open a console and type: mount -vfat /dev/hdb1 /mnt/windows
14) Now you can access your entire Windows drive from within Linux!

If your new to Linux then at this point I would suggest you point your
web browser to www.linuxdoc.org and read the relevant "HOWTO"
documents:

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Installation-HOWTO/index.html
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/DOS-Win-to-Linux-HOWTO.html
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Linux+Windows-HOWTO/index.html
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/MultiOS-HOWTO.html

Also take a look at www.codeweavers.com

Hopefully, after you pass the somewhat steep Linux learning curve you will
realize how much better Linux is and you will only need Windows for a few
applications that won't run under Linux.

To give you an idea of how powerful Linux can be...  This past week I setup
a company intranet server with apache, MySQL, and a customized "Bugzilla"
bug tracking package for our software engineering & testing departments.
I did this all in a single afternoon, and without rebooting a machine which
had been running continuosly (masquerading as an NT server) for the past 65
days!