RE: Must Have apps for the next BDI

For my $.02 worth on this subject, I think for a machine controller we need
a minimal desktop and minimal services.  I am sorry, I just can't see the
value in having email, web browsing or games on a computer that is
controlling a potentially dangerous machine.  Even in my small home shop,
the shop computer serves one and only one purpose, that is to make parts on
the mill or lathe.  It does not do email, web browsing, cad/cam or anything
else.  In fact, the only network it currently has is floppy net but that may
change as my g-code files grow in size and complexity.

I can see the vultures lining up now just waiting for someone's home shop
CNC machine to have a run-a-way while the owner/operator is using the
control computer to surf the web or read email while making parts.

John Guenther
'Ye Olde Pen Maker'
Sterling, Virginia