Re: FPGA for PCI based servo control board

On Sun, Apr 06, 2003 at 10:31:45PM -0400, John Kasunich wrote:

> I also have considered going into work on the weekends to work
> on it, but I really don't want to do that.

understandable. Also it tends to lock up the IP a bit.

> Are there any free or really cheap tools out there?

for the fpga - xemacs with verilog-mode and icarus verilog
work.   For vhdl modelsim is packaged, works for smaller designs.
But then I have to run windows.  I work much faster in verilog.

for schematics, gschem and pcb work together. I have not
used either recently.

xcircuit is useable mostly in the discussion phase.

I tend to like having an autorouter. manual pcb routing is
pretty but boring and slow.

Local pcb fabs here accept a protel database, which saves time and
error possibilities generating gerber and excellon.  I think there used
ot be orcad/protel conversion tools. But last I looked neither orcad
nor protel were in the really cheap category.

john