Re: FileTransfers

Kurtis Martineau wrote:

> Could someone please explain how emc can be put on an existing shop network,
> so that files could be transfered from a windowsbox to a folder on the
> emcbox.

Umm, its not as simple as 1-2-3.  I have done this.  There are a few options,
whether
you want to join an existing samba network, or will use Tcp/IP.  I chose
Tcp/IP, as I
didn't have windows networking really set up, before.  There are some rough
spots
in setting up Linux systems for networking that shouldn't happen, but they do.
These have to do with the configuration utilities not starting up all the
required
network processes unless you specifically act to start them at boot time.

Anyway, get a cheap twistedpair network card that is on the supported hardware
list, and plug it in.  Set all machines to some reasonable IP addresses, such
as
10.10.1.1, 10.10.1.2 etc.  You can enter all your network addresses in the
/etc/hosts file, so you don't need a domain name server or a gateway/router.
If you are on an existing network, perhaps with a cable modem or DSL, then it
gets a bit more complicated.  I have a static DSL address, so I had to
configure
my main Linux server node to be a gateway/router for my private subnet
(10.10.1.x).

Run the network configuration program in the configuration menu, and enter all
the
info in the various screens, and then reboot, and see if the networking has
come
up.  You can use the command : ping 10.10.1.x to see if the hardware/software
is
working to see the other nodes.  There are a bunch of HOWTO files on the CD
that explain this, but it is a lot of reading.  If you know nothing of TCP/IP
networking,
you are going to have to read some of it, at least.

Once you get the networking going, it is very easy to move files.  I do ths, as
my
CAD/CAM software is on a Windows system.  I use FTP to move files.  Samba
makes it a bit easier with their utilities.