Re: Jog wheel

Hi Ray

On Sunday 02 June 2002 08:02, you wrote:
> I've got to agree with you on this one.  I can visualize driving a car with
> a joystick, the old plane I flew had one, but I've got a bit of a crisis
> trying to visualize driving my mill with one.  My preference would be for
> the handwheel.  But that is only me.

we have one small retrofit lathe at work that uses a digital stick to jog
nobody in the shop likes it even though its not much more than a
lever over the usual 4 jog buttons
the handwheels on every other machine feel more 'natural' for most machinists

> I don't think this is the way my mill works here.  If I issue a 1 inch jog
> and then issue another while it is moving, I get a jog that stops somewhere
> in the middle of the second inch.

hmmm.. sounds like a bug if you ask me
if you are starting at xx.x15 with an increment of .01 then 3 'clicks' should
put it at xx.x45
and if you zing the wheel as fast as you can it should still
end up at xx.x(?)5 even if it misses a few transitions of the encoder
(better to come up short than to overshoot)

> I guess the meaning of normal here is the issue.

I figure 'normal' as acting prety much the same as a straight manual machine
it stops as soon as you do

> Well I guess that's one more reason for limits.  Soft or hard.

its not running the slide onto the limits that would bother me
its all the stuff between the current position and the limits that it would
have to pass thru on the way - crunch!pop!spang!oops! need a new vise ;-)

Brian