RE: Handbook info - EMC distributions

I hope to start converting my Sherline (Real Soon Now).  I would like to
use Mandrake 8.1 or 8.2 if I get it in time. From what I read, RTAI is
the best choice?

I'm still learning about CNC, but I have a 22 year old AAS in
Electronics, spent most of the last fifteen years writing real time
software for telecommunications, and wrote a little bit of user
documentation as well.  My skills lie primarily in RTOS (not Linux, but
probably close enough) and C++.  A lot of assembler, but all 8-bit, so
probably not of much use.

What kind of info would you like?  A step by step guide?

I'm back in college right now, working on my BA-CS, so I will be working
on this in spare time (which I expect I will have more of this summer
than in the fall).  My first step will be to get up and running with a
driver board from StepperWorld and their Windows based software.  Then
on to Linux and EMC.

Marshall