RE: Alternative IO cards

>Also - thought strikes me that modules like freqmod may suffer.
>Due to the delays in software layers between the rt module and the port
pin.

USB could do it, if the driver code is tight enough. Would need to be an
extension
of freqmod that talks directly to the USB hardware on the motherboard.

The slave device would have to be custom USB, generic USB to PP cables
tend to be slow.
If you control both sides of the USB link completely it should be more
than good enough.

>One solution would be to offload much of the real time behaviour to
>the external interface.

That is going towards an expensive processor based system. Dumb PCI card
might
be better, or simply use a PCI based parallel port card and keep the
status quo.

Parallel ports are good for another year or two.

Nic.