Re: Anyone have Gimp etc. running??

It would be slightly less traumatic to install from source than from
rpm here.  that should eliminate the glibc dependencies, but you would
still have the headache of a full gtk + glib compile.

I'd strongly support the suggestion of a dual boot with rh7.3 or the
like.  gimp gets better and more stable all the time.  scanner
support is also much better recently, often a co-requirement.

john