Re: embedded emc

Hi Scot,

prolly bios vs booting from flashdisk mixed up here, but never mind that. Yes
it is possible to boot linux from a flashdisk, and then run emc. Linux runs
perfectly from flash, the definition of perfectly depending on your particular
embedded system.

I ran linux 2.0.x on embedded i486 systems with 4Mb ram and 1Mb flash (or
was it 2Mb, I'm not entirely sure) years ago, and don't expect the 8Mb flash
mark to be too hard for emc with a carefully tuned kernel + libc and all. But
then again, who cares about careful tuning with cheap flash these days.

Quick estimate of flashdisk size requirements:
 8Mb = sport
16Mb = doable
32Mb = too easy

Disclaimer: I have not actually tried stuffing emc on an embedded system. I
do however have a bit of experience stuffing linux on embedded systems, and
see no reason why the above figures shouldn't be feasble.

Fred