P.I.D.

List,
   I would like to bring up the subject of servo tuning.

   I feel that we need to look into the emc handbook version of PID and pick
apart each line to put it into laymen's terms. I have read three years of
postings, I studied the different versions of how to do servo tuning, and
even checked out a book on the subject. And I still can't apply it. Either
the information is to general or way to technical.

  The following was copied from the hand book. Please help to bring this
dark and mysterious subject to light.
                                             Thank you,

                                               Joe

P = 50
The proportional gain for the axis servo. This value multiplies the error
between commanded and actual position in user units, resulting in a
contribution to the computed voltage for the motor amplifier. The units on
the P gain are volts per user unit.
I = 0
The integral gain for the axis servo. The value multiplies the cumulative
error between commanded and actual position in user units, resulting in a
contribution to the computed voltage for the motor amplifier. The units on
the I gain are volts per user unit-seconds.
D = 0
The derivative gain for the axis servo. The value multiplies the difference
between the current and previous errors, resulting in a contribution to the
computed voltage for the motor amplifier. The units on the D gain are volts
per user unit per second.