Learning to operate EMC

I am learning to operate the EMC program and am practicing with
./sim.run with the BDI 2.04 defaults.

The Manual and MDI modes seem to work okay except for the Home
function.

In Auto mode I can load a program and it seems to run okay.  However,
I can't seem to step the program. Example:

Load 3dtest.ngc. Hit step and the program apparently takes off
running.
Position displays remain at zero, the status which initially
indicated idle, indicates running.

Looking at the terminal window I see:

emcTaskcommand(n155 m2) called
emcTaskPlanExecute(0) return 1

Seems to me that it went to the last step in the program.

Any ideas on getting this to behave properly?

Jack Ensor