Re: User list: More info wanted

The 486 install was a generic BDI 2.09 install.  The VGA card I ended up
with is the CLVGA542XVL/H VESA Local Bus Rev 2.0.  It has the CL-GD5429 chip
with 1 Meg of video ram.  The processor was replaced with an Evergreen 586
upgrade chip, so /proc/cpuinfo now reports it as AuthenticAMD Am5x86-WT
running at 66.36 bogomips.  To make it easier to try different video cards,
I ran linuxconf and under Miscellaneous services, then Initial system
services, set the default runlevel to 3.  This will prevent the system from
trying to start X on boot.  You can then run Xconfigurator (in
/usr/X11R6/bin) or the old standby xf86config (in the same place) to set the
video card you have installed, the run startx to try it out.  Many cards I
tried would cause the system to go off into la la land, so it would be a
power down, change card, power up, fsck, start over with xf86config cycle,
and with this slow of a machine, that is why it was important to set the
runlevel to 3.  Once I found a card that worked with X, everything else was
standard EMC config file edits.  I am running with steppermod.o with the
current setup, but plan to try out the others when I get my new table built
as those steppers have encoders on them.  Speaking of that, the link for the
home built feedback board at http://www.mcs.net/~kulaga/dro.html is a dead
link, is there a new place to find this info?

Other than that, it just takes patience as the startup and loading of
programs is slow, but it drives the steppers just fine once the code is up
and running.

Ed Okerson