Re: Embedde EMC + WM

Hi David

EMC will run with just about any of the lightweight window managers, I picked
KDE because I'm comfortable with it - Never really got on too well with fvwm or
Gnome. When I get time, I intend to have a go with fltk http://www.fltk.org
doing a quick search reveals that there is already a window manager available
to run with fltk... Just need some spare time.

The subject of embedded systems covers a wide range of form factors and
processors. PC104 is one of the smallest, and quite pricey. Passive backplanes
with ISA/PCI slots are reasonable as long as you are not after high speed
processors. Recently qouted ~£600 for a 233Mhz Cyrix, 128M RAM, onboard
graphics and NIC all in a shoebox case. This would have space for one ISA card
and two PCI if I recall the details.
The other option is an 8U 19" case with an LCD panel and an 'off the shelf'
motherboard mounted directly behind the screen. With any luck, the total depth
can be kept to around 8", and has the advantage of using cheap, common
components.
The latter soloution is the one I favour when I come to retrofit one of the
machines I have here. It will require a custom chassis to mount everything in,
should be able to do it in house.

Due to the nature of CNC machines generally being on the large size, space is
not at a premium. Therefore, ultra compact PC's are not an over-riding priority.
(just my own opinion). Most machines I have seen have the space to accommodate
a standard PC case.

Regards, Paul.