RE: smdromod.o COMPARED to freqmod.o

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Enrique Sanchez Vela wrote:
> Hello,
>
>    I have a Bridgeport machine with stepper motors, still in the works.
> lately I've been wondering why would I require a encoder if the control
> loop works in open loop mode, is freqmod used to work in closed loop
> with steppers?

You will not need encoders to run the machine open loop with steppermod or
freqmod.  You would only need the board and encoders if you are trying to
run smdromod.o.

>   Also why would I need a DRO.

The use of the term DRO in this context comes from the board that was
applied to the problem of getting actual axis feedback while running
steppers rather than defining what the board does.  A board designed to
make a computer into a DRO was pressed into service to feed position back
to the EMC.

Hope this helps