Re: Joystick control ?

Hi Henry,

the game port is not used in EMC at this time (afaik)
I think there was some early work done using the joystick but
it didnt work out too well

I've done a little work using the joystick button inputs to read
encoders ,it just needs to be shoehorned into the code somewhere
see (still needs some content in places)
http://www.mindspring.com/~pitt/ (under game port hacks)
the encoder handweel could use one of these (if you can find one)
Grayhill.com (under products ,encoders,Optical, High Resolution)
part #s 61k25 (or 61R , 63K,63R)
with a detented knob for tactile feedback

the code for the selector knob can be expanded for a 4 bit Gray code
switch to use as a feed or speed override (16 positions, 0-150%)

also some game port cards can be modified to all digital input
by removing the timer chip and jumpering a few traces

I've also been looking into the MIDI port on most PC sound cards
its an opto isolated serial port with its own command set and there are
many projects for using it with a PIC microcontroler for all sorts of I/O
check
http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/hardware/key.htm
http://www.audiomulch.com/midipic/
or Circuit Cellar oct-nov 98 for a MIDI output triac controler
(pwm analog or digital ,14 outputs)

Brian