RE: Steppers or servos

I will put a little different spin on this. I was running steppers with EMC
and I have now converted to servos that are driven with step and direction
signals just as if they were servos. What I have found is that EMC can put
out as high a pulse rate as I need. The limit I am running into for maximum
rapid moves is the maximum RPM the motors are capable of. Currently I am
having EMC output 30,000 steps a second per axis and it is having no problem
at all with this rate (gives me 180 ipm). With stepper motors I was not at
all able to achieve these feed rates. I think the reason is the step and
direction servos continue to function just fine as the pulse rates jump from
mode to mode where as the stepper will stall out.

If you want to take a look at the step and direction servos go to
www.geckodrive.com and look at the G320. I agree with Jon that a traditional
servo better capability at extremely low move rates, but I have found the
step and direction servos to be a vast improvement over steppers as a cost
well below a traditional servo setup. Heck, you can buy 8 of the drivers for
just the price of the Servo to Go card!

Tim
[Denver, CO]