homing and axis errors

Hello,

I have been playing around with my little homebrew
setup some more, and I learned something curious.  I
once saw that I could home my single axis, and it
would not respond to jog changes, but it would show
position changes on the EMC display when I turned the
shaft.  I was unable to reproduce this (I wasn't able
to get the axis to home and go green) till tonight.
My setup has no switches whatsoever.  What I found was
(by checking between the actual and comand positions)
on startup all axes are yellow.  I highlight axis 0
(the only one I have), and click "home".  It appears
to do nothing when the actual machine position is
displayed.  the display is yellow, and reads 0.0000.
When I look at the commanded position, it keeps
increasing in the positive direction.  If I let it go,
it hits 20.000 then drops.  Eventually I get the
following error message:

minimilltaskintf.cc 938 Error on Axis 0
Maximum software limit on axis 0 exceeded

Then it goes green (homes?)  after which I can turn
the shaft and see the position change.  If I click
home again, the axis goes yellow, but the commanded
position seems to decrease and settle to 0.0000, and
turn green again.

Does anyone have any idea why it won't home properly?
I used the code from the stg module, and uncommented
the #defines for no limit switches and no home
switches.

Thanks very much for all your help

Garrett.