Re: EMC on a 386 and a remote TkEMC under Win98?

<snip-snip-shuffle-paste>

> I tried Brian Pitt's  ZipSlack Install procedure, which worked after I
> figured out the disks linux partition name, but it crashed during the
> real-time Linux patch, and Windows Scandisk  'fixed' the problem by
deleting
> linux file names! That's what I get for trying to avoid rebooting.

Hi Scott,
I've just been going back over my own post on the ZipSlack install
and I am finding some parts a bit cryptic and sketchy myself
could you send me a discription (off list if you like)
in excruciating detail (if posible) ,of your installation attempt
and I'll try to make an addendum to the instructions
I should also also have mentioned that I dont have a CD recordable disk yet
or I would send a pre-built copy of my installation for "chain letter"
distribution
(ie. make a copy and send it on)

> Can I transfer small executables from the build to a tiny 100MB disk on
the
> 386 or 486?

yes ,instructions can be found at
http://www.slackware.com/faq/do_faq.php3?faq=zipslack
go to question & answer #2
this describes the transfer process for the zipslack installation but really
it applies to
transferring the key components of any Linux file system

> What Linux components can I discard if I just want a motion controller?

rather than discarding items from a full system it may be easier to start
with
a base system and add what you need to it
I've been working on trimming the ZipSlack EMC install down to a more
reasonable
size and I have found that things tend to break really easily when you start
deleting stuff

a minimum real-time Linux distro can be found at
http://luz.cs.nmt.edu/rtlinux.new/minirtl.html

the description on the page sez

"Real-time Linux V2.0 Kernel 2.2.13RTL2.0 for i486 on a 1.44MB floppy. This
minimum system is a standalone, bootable networked real-time Linux system"

I've been looking at some of the various floppy distros out there
some of them manage to cram a base system,X and Tcl/TK onto a handful of
1.44s

Brian