Re: EMC on a 386 and a remote TkEMC under Win98?

On Tue, 08 Aug 2000, Will wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Aug 2000 14:16:59 -0400 (EDT), Scott Stephens said:
>

> >  Can I and how do I:
> >
> >  Run TkEMC, and a backplotter, under Win98?
> >  I suppose the Tcl backplotter would need significant modification.
>
> I doubt the actual tcl code needs much modification. (Perhaps Ray will answer
> that part more definitely.)

On a 386:

The tkbackplot that exists in the current release is a small version of
a full EMC gui.  It does not demand very much of the processor but I have
no idea how well it would work on a 386 with the rest of the motion stuff.
I'm sure that you would want to run steppermod.o rather than freqmod.o.
and use a slow update in your ini file.  (CYCLE_TIME in DISPLAY)  With that
the plots may be a bit ragged.

On Windows:

Haven't tried it.  Don't run windows much any more.  Most of the Tcl/Tk
language is portable but some commands tend to work a bit different
between OS's.  Some of the source (find another file) commands might get
messed up looking for the editor and scripts but we could rather
easily fix that.  I can't think of any other issues.

If you decide on the network and get EMC running with the standard gui's,
I'd be happy to work with you on it as I find time.  Or with the network
you could use the newer tkbackplot which is a window that displays motion
directly from the tkemc gui.