RE: Parameter PERIOD

Ray,

I did the changes below in my ini file,
the software was working using steppermod,
no problems with ESTOP and MACHINE ON.

I changed to freqmod and it seems to be running,
I see the heartbeat of the motion task.

Now using freqmot, when I try to move,
I get "command cannot be executed until
the machine is out of estop and turned on",
what could be wrong?

I have got nothing connected to the parallel port,
but this is not needed if I have no feedback, right?

I also remember to see a following error somewhere,
I can't reproduce it anymore, but there should not
be any following error, since there is no position feedback,
should there?

Maybe someone has a working system with nothing connected to
the parallel port, using freqmot and  tkemc, if so could you post the
ini file?

Any Hints?

Regards,
Bert

At 08:40 AM 4/12/2000 -0400, Bert wrote:

>Can Freqmod be used without encoder feedback,
>if so how?

Freqmod uses the pulses sent to the stepper as the feedback.  There is
another motion module that allows for feedback - smdromod if memory serves
me right.

To use freqmot you will need to set several lines in your ini file.

[EMCMOT]

; Name of motion control program
EMCMOT =		freqmod.o

; Base task period, in seconds
PERIOD =		0.00003

Each axis must have the same values for these lines.
[AXIS_0]

INPUT_SCALE =		4000	0
OUTPUT_SCALE = 	4000	0

>What is a good PERIOD time on a pentium-2 233Mhz/64MB?

The answer to that question is between you, your computer, and your
machine.  There were some posts a while back on setting a best guess.  I
think that I'd start around the value given above or 0.00004.  If you are
happy with the way that your machine handles speed changes and you still
get a decent response from your gui then they set it a little lower.  You
will soon see that the gui becomes sluggish and that's a little bit low.