Re: experiments with EMC smoothness

List:
Les's comments on "jerkiness" caused me to do some playing with my bench
experimental system.

System:
SEM MT30H4-44 servo motor
SD 1525BR servo amp with a 70 v supply.
a 2.5" dia flywheel 2.5" long mounted directly on the shaft with a helical
.25 x 6 mm coupler
to a heidenhain ROD 426.000-2500 encoder
controller: ppmc with encoder and dac cards running ppmc_dionull in place of
ppmc_dio

This system is not very loaded so the settings are fairly agressive.
Emc:

P = 1020
I = 0.11
D = .1
FF0 = 0.0
FF1 = 0.0
FF2= 0.0
Input scale = 40000 0 simulating a .25" pitch ball screw
max and default accel = 10.16 m/sec**2

With a short program that makes successive 1" moves...from x = 0 to x = 10
and then a single return to zero move.

G1 X 1 F n00
G1 X 2
G1 X 0
M2

If one logs this move using drive voltage vs. position (since there is no
acceleration vs position) then
at low velocities the voltage curve swings in a dampened oscillation from
+10  V to -7.5 V on the first swing and then dampens out to about 4 V +/- 1
V all the way to 10" where one sees the same thing for the reversing of the
axis and then again as it decelerates approaching zero. Following error
maxes at about 0.005" and decays about the same as the drive signal.

With a single move to 10" or n = 1 to 3 there is curve that looks just like
the slow speed moves. Only when I tried n = 4; therefore 400 ipm which is
max speed for the system do I start to see small dampened oscillations in
the drive voltage at the start of each new block of code. The oscillations
are about twice the voltage swing for a move in equilibrium.

I was expecting much larger transitions but at least for my system they
don't happen.

Results from high speed systems with real loads to push should be
interesting.

OK guys it's open season!

Good luck!

Dave Engvall