Newbie hardware questions

I suppose this is off-topic to EMC, but I don't know another place to ask this
question.

I'm looking for information about recommended hardware. I realize the idea to
make EMC work with pretty much anything, but what's a good starting point? Like
good value sources for motors, boards, etc. Feel free to direct me anywhere else
for an answer.

More specifically, I'm interested in putting together a replacement for an aging
2 axis ISA driver card running undersized steppers that mostly runs my 4' x 10'
plasma table. (DOS and HPGL, to make things worse) I say mostly, because the RF
from the plasma zaps the PC about 20% of the time unless I quick unplug the
keyboard. (?)

The Gecko drivers look like a good option; small, optical isolation, and not too
pricy. But I'm not even clear on the advisability of using servos vs. steppers
or a reliable source for either. I've seen prices all over the map.

Thanks for your patience.

Hal Eckhart - Casa Forge - Minneapolis MN - <http://www.casaforge.com>