Questions (qiute a few, sorry!)

Ray et al,

Here's where I'm at now:   To avoid the occasional amplifier fault
error, I upgraded (via the RPM) to 2.18.  That appears to have gone off
without a hitch, but...now I'm unable to get out of estop...!

I know this is a much-discussed problem, and believe me I've read and
re-read everything in the archives of the list on the subject and I
still can't make it work.  So I thought I'd post a few specific
questions that have come to me as a result of my study:

1.  I do not find the testppt or usrmot scripts anywhere on my system.
Where can I get these?

2.  I am using a parallel port at 0x278 to interface with my stepping
motor drivers.  In the IO_SHOW script, when I toggle the labels I see a
variety of things attributed to the same pins.  For example, pin15 is
labelled either -lm or estp, depending (I'm guessing) on whether you're
using steppers or servos.  That's quite confusing.

3.  In one post Jon Elson mentions pulling up pin 13 (+lm) and grounding

pin 16.  Isn't pin 16 an output?

4.  According to IO_Show, pin 11 is prb.  What is prb?  Should it be
pulled high or low?

5.  In the emc.ini file, IO_BASE_ADDRESS is set to 0x278.  No problem.
Then there's MOTION_IO_ADDRESS.  That sounds like the same thing...what
should that be set to?

6.  If I don't have a second parport for aux io, I should comment that
line out, right?

As far as the port itself goes, even though I see no mention of a
parallel port in /proc/ioports, I am able to light LEDs connected
between any of pins 2-7 and 18-25.  I can also trigger min/max hard
limit errors (red digits) by grounding pins 12, 13 and 15.  So the port
is there and seems to be functional.

Whew....that's a whole lot of questions.   I'm hoping that the answers
will trigger some understanding that I currently lack that will unlock
the problem.  I feel like I'm pretty close!  Thanks very much in advance

to all who reply.  I really appreciate it.

regards,
Pat