Re: Amplifier fault w/steppers..?????

Hi Pat

I've had a lot of experience with steppermod and crashes -- not because
steppermod is buggy but because I constantly tested the limits of it looking
for exactly the kinds of problems you are having now.

To me, the error you are getting and the timing that raises it suggests that
this is a case of either to many step pulses for the size of the bin you are
trying to put them in or to big a bin for the buffer that is supposed to hold
it.  We had a lot of problems with this long ago.  I thought that they were
fixed before 2.10 but I know that they were present in earlier bdi releases.
I don't even remember exactly what the fix was or where you had to make it
and recompile but it was something to do with buffer size in the motion stuff.

My suggestion is that you upgrade to the latest release.  You can do this
from the full bdi download sites.  The first link is for the 2.18 and is
hosted by Henkka.  The second is for the TNG and is hosted by Till.  These
are BIG downloads.

http://www.yty.net/cnc/bdi.html
http://www.isw.uni-stuttgart.de/personen/t_franit/echtzeitlinux/index.html

I believe that you can simply download the rpms at www.linuxcnc.org/bdi and
install both the 2.18 and rcslib to produce a complete new EMC.

http://www.linuxcnc.org/bdi/RPMS/emc-rtl3.0-2.18.i386.rpm
http://www.linuxcnc.org/bdi/RPMS/emc-rtl3.0-2.18.i386.rpm

Select the replace files option in kpackage once you have these someplace on
your bdi hard drive.

One caution here is that after you have completed the upgrade you should
start with a run and ini file from the new version and edit them for your
machine rather than trying to bring in your old run and ini files.  Use these
for the values but edit the variables in the new.

If you need new disks contact me off list.

Hope this helps.

Ray