Interesting Xylotek stepper problem

List

Recently I was playing with a Sherline minimill with those laser engraved
handwheels right on the motors and found an interesting problem with the
Xylotek stepper driver cards.

Steppermod causes a motor to move the direction it was going for one pulse
after a direction change.  In the eternal scheme of things it will never be
more than one step or microstep off and it always corrects itself after the
next direction change.  It is just a bit disconcerting to watch the Sherline
handwheel take a wrong step when you press the 0.0001 jog button.

A recent post from Jeff Pollard, Xylotek's wizard says;

> If you look at PDF page 3 in my datasheet at:

> http://www.xylotex.com/XS35V.pdf

> you can see the timing diagram of how the STEP/DIR signals need to be.  The
> DIR line needs to be stable 200 ns BEFORE and AFTER the RISING edge of the
> STEP signal.

> Is is possible that you are using a FALLING edge to trigger the STEP
> signal.  This would most likely be the case if you were used to using
> Geckos that require a FALLING signal (which allows their optoisolator to
> fire).

Freqmod is fine with this.  Matt tells me that is because there is a one
motion loop delay after a direction change.

What are the possible fixes here?