Re: BDI 2.18 install problem

On Sunday 13 April 2003 01:18, you wrote:
> There is a
> proprietary ISA card that lets you use the front panel membrane
> switches along with a conventional keyboard, but as far as I can
> tell, that board only gets accessed when you want to change the
> definitions of the front panel keys.  (I don't have the utility to do
> that, which is a DOS/Windows thing anyway.) I'm using an
> external keyboard and mouse for the config.

If your kbd & mouse ports aren't on that card, try pulling it.

>  The video is an
> Allen Bradley board, but it uses a CHIPS B65555 chipset.
> Linux autodetected the chipset as a CT65520.  The first time
> I corrected it to CT65555, the second time I left it alone.
> Both times, I was able to test X, and it seemed fine.

Is this on-board, or can you change it?

> I was wrong about the BIOS.  It is:
>
> AMIBIOS  (C) 1992 American Megatrends, Inc.
> (C) 1992-1997 Intel Corp.
> BIOS Version 1.00.08.DB0

This is the BIOS for an Intel Advanced ML motherboard, and it's the final
version.

One thing I'd try is to remove the CMOS backup battery (or use the provided
jumper) to clear out the CMOS entirely. Then hook it back up, reboot, go into
the setup utility and select "Load BIOS defaults". Save, reboot and then
change only what you need in the setup to make the system work, favoring the
default values. I've had to do this several times with Intel motherboards.

> Things I don't understand:
> ISA LFB size - choices are disabled or 1MB, currently disabled

OK - disabled

> PnP Config Mode - choices are "Use setup utility" and "Use ICU"
> "Use setup utility" was really bad, currently set to "Use ICU"

"Use ICU"

> When set for ICU, the next parameter is
> "Boot with PnP OS", choices are None, Other, and Windows 95
> was on None, trying Other

You want "None".

> It's still autodetecting a Chips and Technologies CT65520.
> The numbers on the chip are B655555.  I'm gonna leave it
> the way it is.  (I've tried changing it to CT655555, didn't seem
> to make any difference).  It correctly detected 4M of video
> memory.

I have an LCD controller that uses a member of this chip family. It worked
great until XFree version 4 came out, then it would hang the install utility
as soon as I tried to scroll a window. If you eliminate everything else, this
could be your culprit. It may be OK with the generic VGA X server.

At any rate, we can fix it at NAMES...

Matt