Re: EMC Handbook

Paul wrote:

> The PDF Handbook is a rewrite of the on-line version - Much
> of the text has been cut'n'pasted across with a few minor
> spelling and grammatically corrections.

> The sections pertaining to the source code have been split
> in to a seperate document, with new sections added.

Where is that document?  Is it this one:
http://www.linuxcnc.org/bdi/RPMS/emc_source.pdf ?

I've already seen that one, and there is a significant
amount of stuff in the HTML handbook that isn't in
either the PDF handbook or that source PDF.

> If you prefer an HTML rendition, either grab the latest
> BDI CD, or download the documents tree from Sourceforge.

PDF and HTML each have strong and weak points.  Personally,
I'm more concerned about the completeness and accuracy of
the contents than about the format.

I would hope we could have ONE master document, that could
then generate a PDF for printing, and an HTML tree for
online.  It's hard enough keeping one document up to date,
having two is silly.

> The original has been written with the aid of LyX-1.1.6.

I don't know much about LyX, and www.lyx.org seems to be
broken right now, hopefully that's temporary.  Is LyX a
way to get to the one source, any output format goal?

I am willing to do my work in whatever format makes the
most sense.  I'm using HTML now because it requires no
tools.  (I use Notepad/Wordpad...)

John Kasunich