Re: FPGA for PCI based servo control board

Fine fine ... I'm just not convinced that the extra effort in finding them
and a sutiable case, PSU etc, is worth the space saving over a conventional
small case PC .. anyway .. each to there own.

I'm sure they'll do the job (whatver that might be ...) I'm just confused by
the whole thread really.

What it seems to boil down to is this:

EMC works fine, but for high pulse rate applications its give the CPU a hard
time, so offloading that to an external device would be a good plan. Jon has
already done this with his external stepper driver boards and found the
market to be in the region of 5 a year ho hum. The thrust of the new project
seems to be to split Jon's board in half, move the FPGA inside the PC and
leave the IO external to the PC ... this avoids the 'problem' of using the
printer port to drive the external card, but adds interfacing to the PCI bus,
and then providing a custom interface to the IO board. Ethernet has been
suggested, and perhaps using another PC at the other end to handle the comms.

Now, call me a silly old goat, but it seems to be adding a bunch of extra
hardware, to solve a problem thats already been solved in a slightly
different way.  I dont see its any different to Jon's existing board, except
its going to be in 2 boards, with the added 'fun' of a custom interface
between the two.  I'm not saying that it won't be a fun project, (heck, I'll
most likely build one or two if it does come off) but I'm not sure its that
much of a 'must have' right now as it seems we already have it and about 5
people a year buy it ...

I'll be watching with interest though ... a PCI pulse gen card with external
IO does sound rather apealing for some odd reason ...

--
Robin Szemeti