RE: FPGA for PCI based servo control board

Robin,

Not to belabor the point here, as I think it really doesn't matter...  but
the VIA boards that I've used cost my firm around $81 USD, including a
800MHz C3 processor (admittedly wholesale).  I should have not said......
"you won't beat the price"....as someone ALWAYS will...:)   But at least in
the US, there is no significant price penalty for this format. Yes I think
you could  source an ATX MB with a C3 for SLIGHTLY less, but not much.
Using a simple price check bot (my favorite is http://www.pricewatch.com./)
I was able to turn up lots of retail places (in the US) the sell the same
board for around $90 USD. One example... was
http://www.essencompu.com/nupplysingar.asp?ID=3448  (never used them...so
please don't treat this as an endorsement)

As far as footprint is concerned, the only reason I thought small might of
interest to some is because they are interested in packaging the MB with
breakout board and drives inside of a single enclosure.  The smaller outline
makes for easier integration, especially if you want to package it all up in
a NEMA rated box.

No doubt your experiences / needs / (and sourcing options....) differ from
mine....always a problem on global lists such as this.

Craig