Re: New project...PCI based servo control board

> This project is physically mounted in a PC slot, allowing
> it to use the PC power supplies to save cost.  (This applies
> to the PCI and ISA versions.  I'd also like to have parallel
> port and/or ethernet versions.  Those would require external
> power supplies.)

Sounds like a lot of trouble to avoid buying a power supply to me.

True, the PC does contain a power supply.

Yes, this Does make a VERY handy source of power.

'286, '386, '486 PCs ALL have power supples.
The older you get the MORE 5V and 12V Current they will supply.

Any external project will need a case to house it.

Those Old machines are as common as dirt and FREE.
($5 at a yard sale or Thrift Store is Still 'FREE' IMHO)

They are Steel, self contained, fan cooled and have lots of
open space inside, laid out in a fairly standard format.

Gut one and you have a perfect project box Complete with Power
supply, power switch and cord.

So I do agree, the PC is perfect source or power and enclosure,
I just don't think that means it needs to be the one you are running.

Marc