Re: BDI candidate...

Hi Chris

Yes there has been some playing with Knoppix with an eye to the BDI.  I've got an experimental CD that NIST worked on for an rcslib and real-time demo.  (Thanks Will)  I spent the time to modify it and get it running the EMC to where I was reasonably happy with it.  Very slow boot and a number of critical modules missing for things like audio, networking, and such.  And at best it is one stubborn B&**%# to make changes to.  I've seen old mules that were easier to change and I tried every site I could find on editing the Knoppix disk.

The number of packages that Knopper has been able to squeeze into that compressed img is astounding.  It would take hours to go through and remove the unnecessary stuff to make a quick loading machine control.  KDE 3 is very nice.  I had not seen it before.  But it adds a good deal to the startup time so I switched the default to twm and the load took about half the time.  Twm is much less user friendly.  That counts a lot when you're thinking of making a boot from CD so that complete newbies can try out the EMC without the trouble of an install!  They're thinking slick and slick it ain't.  I also made a version that skipped everything to do with install and went directly to a full screen mini gui.

I also had to move the EMC's writable files, ini, var, tbl in order to make them changable during a run.  In the pre version there is no way to even change a tool size and have it run.  I made links to files by those names that were setup in the ramdisk but the real solution would be to have the startup routine poll the available hard drives and find one that could stand a /emc or \emc directory with programs and these variable files in it.  Then the problem is pointing the EMC to it during a run.

If one had a single purpose device that you wanted to make a Knoppix-EMC for it might be a useful tool.  I have not been able to sell it that way even.  I guess that I've gotten so used to a <10 minute install of the BDI-2.18 and all of the configurability that comes with it that I'm a bit spoiled.

Take all of this FIFW as M2CW.

Ray