Re: New project...PCI based servo control board

John Sheahan wrote:

>On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 09:55:41PM -0500, Craig Edwards wrote:
>

>>Agreed.  With regard to long term availability we need to make sure the FPGA
>>is built on a mainstream process that will be in high volume production for
>>a long time.  Also, I prefer a non-volatile architecture, i.e. one which
>>doesn't require a boot process during power up, but there is a cost
>>trade-off with regard to SRAM based FPGAs.
>>

>I think you will be doing really well to get more than perhaps 5 years
>availability from any fpga today.   There are no mainstream, long-life
>processes any more.  Eg go back 8-10 years to the Xilinx 4000 - seems
>to be no longer available.

If you are building in 10,000 piece quantity, this is mostly true.  For
the kinds of
projects discussed here, go with Xilinx, and their parts will be
available for a LONG
time.  There are all sorts of brokers who have batches of ANCIENT Xilinx
parts
they are still trying to get rid of.

>Choose the supply rail you want to use first,  work from there.
>If you were to pick 5V (say) then don't expect more than a couple more
>years methinks.

Yup, the 5V stuff is going out of favor.