RE: New project...PCI based servo control board

At 09:31 PM 26/03/2003 -0500, you wrote:

>Honestly, you should not hold off buying Jon's product if it fits your
>needs...:)  It's way too early to "compare" products directly, Jon's is here
>now.... I'm just working on a spec!
>
>But you ask a fair question, I guess if I can't answer it clearly in 2 or 3
>months....I'll have a problem.  The main differences I would offer at this
>stage are the packaging and software interfaces.   Originally, I decided I
>wanted a single board that would reside within the control PC, interfacing
>directly to encoders and analog servo amps.  I also wanted to use a small
>form factor case, which ruled out using the STG board in an ISA slot
>(besides which... the STG board is pretty expensive).  Hence the idea of a
>PCI based card, based loosely around STG functionality.  But in looking into
>the details, it's apparent that a lot of other features COULD be added, plus
>it's a non-trivial task to design and prototype a PCI compliant card.  So at
>this point, I'm looking forward to talking with those who have a lot more
>experience in CNC and with EMC than I, in an effort to determine what
>features are most valuable or even if the concept is viable.  I appreciate
>your question Alex.....just don't an answer yet...:)
>-Craig

CRAIG HAVE A LOOK AT -           http://freedaq.sourceforge.net/

here they are developing a PCI card for data acquisition and instrument
control- note the estimated cost...

Main features:

    * Based on Xilinx FPGA, SpartanII 200Kgates. Netlist written in VHDL.
    * 2 * 10-bit 20MSa/s Analog inputs (+-1V range, no switchable gains,
hi-precision references)
    * 1 * 10-bit 20MSa/s Analog output (0-5V range)
    * 1 * IEEE-488.2 port (needs custom cable)
    * 1 * Serial or I2C port
    * External sync and clocking (up to 4MHz)
    * DMA-based data transfer for all units. 12Mbit local SRAM buffer
    * Supports PCI mastering
    * Completely scalable for buffer size and analog channels
    * Total cost of components ~150$ for full configuration (plus PCB), in
quantity of 1 piece (less for more).
    * Uses only easy-to-find components
    * Design based completely on open source tools (apart from one tool,
which is free but not open)

alex k..........
Alex Kovacic
FISH Lab
CYTOGENETICS UNIT,
SEALS,Level 4, Campus Centre,
Prince Of Wales Hospital,
RANDWICK, NSW, 2031,
AUSTRALIA,
Tel: (61) (02) 9382 9168
Fax: (61) (02) 9382 9157
email1:A.Kovacic-at-unsw.edu.au
email2:kovacica-at-sesahs.nsw.gov.au
South Eastern Sydney Area Health Service

This email, and the files transmitted with it, are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.

If you are not the intended recipient, you are not permitted to distribute or use this email or any of its attachments in any way.

We also request that you advise the sender of the incorrect addressing.

This note also confirms that this email message has been virus-scanned and although no computer viruses were detected, South Eastern Sydney Area Health Service accepts no liability for any consequential damage resulting from email containing any computer viruses.