RE: New project...PCI based servo control board

Honestly, you should not hold off buying Jon's product if it fits your
needs...:)  It's way too early to "compare" products directly, Jon's is here
now.... I'm just working on a spec!

But you ask a fair question, I guess if I can't answer it clearly in 2 or 3
months....I'll have a problem.  The main differences I would offer at this
stage are the packaging and software interfaces.   Originally, I decided I
wanted a single board that would reside within the control PC, interfacing
directly to encoders and analog servo amps.  I also wanted to use a small
form factor case, which ruled out using the STG board in an ISA slot
(besides which... the STG board is pretty expensive).  Hence the idea of a
PCI based card, based loosely around STG functionality.  But in looking into
the details, it's apparent that a lot of other features COULD be added, plus
it's a non-trivial task to design and prototype a PCI compliant card.  So at
this point, I'm looking forward to talking with those who have a lot more
experience in CNC and with EMC than I, in an effort to determine what
features are most valuable or even if the concept is viable.  I appreciate
your question Alex.....just don't an answer yet...:)
-Craig